New Zealand in Focus
Visit the new Christchurch!
Christchurch is the phoenix rising from the ashes and its entrance is not only vibrant, but full of magnificent new sites and adventures that are not to be missed. Here, we have pulled together a list of just five of the great reasons to visit the Canterbury region.
- Food, glorious food! Christchurch is now the home of the most amazing food trucks. For the winter season, you will find up to 20 of the city’s best gathering at The Commons at the first Friday of the month, along with live music and entertainment for the kids all from 4-9pm. Experience foods from all different ethnicities in true food truck style. After September, the trucks will be back at their home at Cathedral Square. Don’t miss it! It’s tasty, delicious, different and fun.
- A classic yet a timeless beauty and popular destination is Hanmer Springs – a short 90 minute drive north of Christchurch. A definite on the to do list for any time of the year. Warm up in winter, or relax and unwind in summer, Hanmer has a little something for everyone from world famous hot springs, luscious dining options and fabulous shopping. Those looking for somewhere to stay can rest their heads at the Alpine Adventure Holiday Park – choose from a myriad of options to suit any budget, plus you can bring your four-legged friends too, making it a holiday option for all the family.
- Check out Christchurch’s Transitional Cathedral. It’s predominantly made of cardboard, providing a replacement cathedral following the loss of the ChristChurch Cathedral in the 2011 earthquake that struck the city. The only one of its kind in the world, the cardboard cathedral is home to an abundance of music, performances and sermons and is a must-visit spot when travelling around the Canterbury region. While Christchurch is rebuilding and becoming a city even more amazing than before, the Cathedral also reminds those of where it has come from and brings a beautiful link to the not so distant past.
- Who doesn’t love salmon. New Zealand has some of the best salmon in the world and our trout is top notch too. Rakaia River is just 60km south-east of Christchurch city and is renowned for its salmon, as well as rainbow and brown trout fisheries. Native birdlife line the river banks, creating an idyllic Kiwi experience, as you wait for that big bite on the line. Fishing is best when the river is flowing at a lower level after a fresh dump of snow from the neighbouring glaciers. Great for fishing – although we wouldn’t recommend a skinny dip in winter! Brrrr! Warm up at great accommodation, with one of the best local options, Rakaia River Holiday Park. With great facilities you can choose what suits you best – a backpacker’s cabin, a powered tent site or even a Fisherman’s Cottage.
- Phenomenal and significant – Christchurch Arts Centre. A must visit for the region located in the heart of the Christchurch CBD. The Arts Centre has been going under an extensive $290 million renovation and restoration project since the earthquakes in 2011 and has been slowly reopening to the public, with many of its sites now open to the public once again. The arts centre is renowned for its significant collection of heritage buildings, one of the biggest in New Zealand, and has a rich history with many stories to tell. The Great Hall has open days, with a new café freshly opened and different performances added to the schedule regularly. For more information check out artscentre.org.nz
Looking for a family friendly accommodation option to base yourself at while you explore the area? Check out North South Holiday Park. Not only is this the closest holiday park to the airport and rental vehicle depots but you will find yourself an easy drive to the shopping malls, wineries, golf courses and wildlife parks. North South Holiday Park offer a range of affordable accommodation as well as powered and unpowered sites in a park like setting with abundant shady trees.
For more information on Christchurch and the surrounding area visit Christchurch & Canterbury NZ
See Member Rewards in the Christchurch & Canterbury region
SEE NEARBY MEMBER REWARDS