River Captains Cottage


Learn about about the families who gave it life and hear their stories.

Come and visit a rare survivor: The Captain’s Cottage (circa 1870) has been home to many families, all working in connection with the hustle and bustle of the river trade near Maiden’s Stock Crossing. It was most likely the residence of the river boat captains during the later part of the nineteenth century.

In 1983 the cottage was even used in the filming of the telemovie All the Rivers Run.

Due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.