Museum of HMAS Cerberus


HMAS Cerberus, formally Flinders Naval Depot, was commissioned HMAS Cerberus on 1 April 1921. Celebrating 100 years of continuous training for the Royal Australian Navy. Located on 4,000 acres at the head of Hanns Inlet, HMAS Cerberus is regarded as the Premier Training establishment for the Royal Australian Navy (RAN).

The present Museum of HMAS Cerberus was first established by Commander L G Wilson MBE RAN in 1980. The building was built in 1925 as the New Entry’s study block, in 1930 when the Royal Australian Naval College was relocated from Jervis Bay the building then became the Cadets’ Academic block. During WWII the facility was used as the Drafting Office and then later as the Supply School.

The Museum features many maritime artifacts from the Colonial period, particularly the Victorian Navy. The displays also feature an extensive array of memorabilia from WWI and WWII together with a reflection of past and current employment of Navy personnel.

Along with your visit to the Museum visitors are welcome to look through the Memorial Chapels and walk around the Memorial Gardens