Broulee Heritage Area


Broulee was the region’s first port. In the 1830’s, settlers around the district would load and unload from ships anchored in Broulee Bay because a sandbar blocked the entrance to the Moruya River.

Broulee was surveyed and gazetted in 1837 and by mid-1841 a brisk sea trade had developed with Sydney. It was also a depot for Jervis Bay’s whaling fleet. It had six buildings and the 46 residents were mostly convicts employed by the local landowner Captain William Oldrey.
The port was also the centre for the court and police districts stretching from the Jervis Bay to Eden.

After a flood scoured out the bar at Moruya River in 1841, Moruya became the preferred port. The court and hotel were relocated to Moruya in the 1850’s and Broulee was abandoned.
Holidaymakers discovered Broulee in the 1920’s

What to do:
Visit the memorial to the settlers and aborigines who rescued people from the wreck of the schooner Rover in 1841. It is in the park on Candlagan Creek’ northern bank.
Walk around Broulee Island, a nature reserve since 1964, and see the site of the 1840-41 Erin-Go-Bragh Hotel and an interesting 1842 grave.