fbpx
AU -1300 855 707 | NZ - 0800 123 769

Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration

Attractions

The Bligh Museum is a privately-run history museum at Adventure Bay, Bruny Island. Bruny Island lies off the south coast of Tasmania and is accessed by a 15-minute car ferry from Kettering, a 40-minute drive south of Hobart (34 km).
Built from thousands of convict-made bricks, the Bligh Museum of Pacific Exploration features a specialised collection relating to exploration in the South Pacific. A display of maps, documents, paintings and other artefacts offers a historical record of visits to Adventure Bay by explorers Captain William Bligh, Captain James Cook, Tobias Furneaux, Matthew Flinders and Admiral Joseph-Antoine Bruny D’Entrecasteaux. Notable works by Tobin, Webber and Hodges are also included in the collection. The Museum’s foundation stone was laid on 9th September 1955 – the 200th anniversary of Captain William Bligh’s birth.