On Saturday the 23rd of January 1869 at about 3:15am a small but noisy procession of market gardeners found their way from the East End Market to the site between Gouger and Grote Street. In only a few hours about 500 customers quickly bought out the entire stock of goods for sale.
So on the Grote Street site, without any structure other than a fence and a couple of gas lights, began the first day of the Adelaide Central Market (then called the City Market.) And the rest, as they say, is history!
The Market offers a huge range of fresh food including fruit and vegetables, meat and poultry, seafood, cheeses, bakery, smallgoods and health foods, along with some of Adelaide’s most popular cafes and eateries. With more than 9 million visitors every year, the Adelaide Central Market has remained the food mecca for multicultural cuisine and fresh produce for over 150 years.