McCrossin’s Mill Museum


Built in 1870, McCrossin’s Mill is a lovingly restored three storey flour mill which now houses a multi-award winning museum, gallery and function centre. Many locals once believed the “Old Mill” to be haunted. Now it is hauntingly beautiful.

Occupying the ground floor, a series of nine paintings by artist Phillip Pomeroy depict the fatal events of 25 May 1870, when Constable Alexander Walker brought an end to the reign of gentleman bushranger, Captain Thunderbolt. Upstairs, the museum is renowned for its empathetic, humorous and even bizarre exhibitions. Its collection of Chinese artefacts from the Rocky River goldfields is recognised as being of national significance. Other exhibitions include The Life and Legend of Thunderbolt; A Red Rose: Corporal Cecil Stoker’s Story and Trickett’s Triumph, Australia’s first World Champion sportsman.

Due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.